Your journey of connecting to a deeper part of your creative self and well-being is about to begin with us amidst nature in the city.
Our nature-led creative consultancy and expertise services has led us to collaborate with amazing nature-loving clients who believe in letting us do what we do best at Within– by going wild at conceptualising and creating nature-inspired workshops, education programmes, art residencies, commissioned artworks, prints, design and graphic layouts, editorial services, exhibitions and immersive experiences. Set up in 2016 by botanical artist and educator, Lucinda Law, Within has since worked and collaborated with over 40 esteemed brands and companies such as Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Changi Airport Group, Leica, Chanel, National Gallery Singapore, Ecosperity, Banyan Tree, Mandai Park Holdings and more.
We’ve connected people to the wonders of biodiversity, nourishing beauty and creativity of nature with over 200 botanical art workshops and large-scale corporate commissions seen by thousands of people in public spaces such as National Gallery Singapore and Changi Airport in formats such as digital projection to wallpaper hoardings. Our designs have also been turned into limited edition merchandises with brands such as Banyan Tree and Lux.
We tell the endearing stories and narratives of nature with our signature style of art-creation that puts nature and well-being at the heart centre in all that we do. We hope to be able create something beautiful for you to bring out your message about nature and your mission.
May you light up within
Join our upcoming nature-led overseas workshops
National Tropical Botanic Gardens, Hawaii
2 Day Botany & Botanical Art Workshop, Kauai, Hawaii | 23-24 Feb 2019
Taught by botanist Bian Tan & botanical Artist Lucinda Law.
Specially crafted for nature lovers and botanical art enthusiasts, this 2 day plant taxonomy-meets-art course held on the weekend of 23 and 24 February 2019 includes garden tours of McBryde Gardens and Allerton Gardens, plant taxonomy workshops by botanist Bian Tan and botanical watercolour workshops by botanical artist Lucinda Law. You’ll learn to identify and illustrate plants that we will encounter during our garden tours. This powerful combination of art and science approach will enrich your experience of the botanical world and empower you to observe and draw the beauty of nature through holistic and creative perspectives.
Date: 23 & 24 February 2019, Saturday & Sunday
Time: 830 am to 430pm on both days
Venue: McBryde Garden (23 Feb), Allerton Garden (24 Feb)
Price: USD $300, includes:
Two-day workshop of Plant Taxonomy and Art led by botanist Bian Tan and botanical artist Lucinda Law
Provision of all notes
Botanical materials are provided for all classes
The minimum participants to start a class is 6.
Ways to book: visit our website at www.within.sg to book via our Peatix event listing or email us at email@example.com
A full course schedule and material list will be sent to participants.
Excludes - USD$160- Admission tickets and garden tours for McBryde Garden & Allerton Garden on both days respectively.
Join our upcoming nature-led workshops in Singapore
Botanical Art In Watercolour & Mixed Media Workshop
Cultivate and deepen your joyful curiosity for the nature world from an arts perspective. For each of the immersive botanical art workshop, you'll be tasked to achieve a set of group and personalised creative challenges and technical aims. You'll be given a progress worksheet to chart your progress for the individual workshops and across the weeks.
Through a series of demonstrations and one-on-one guidance by Lucinda, you will learn basic observation, photography, illustration and watercolour skills to improve on your technical presentation. You’ll also acquire a range of holistic and creative tips to develop your confidence in arts and enrich your attunement with nature.
Ideal for beginners and all levels of art practitioners who wish to cultivate a nature-inspired art practice using watercolour, mixed media techniques and deepen their appreciation of nature. Classes are held in The Studio (Jalan Besar) or Pollen Restaurant at Gardens by the Bay (Terrace). The workshop at Pollen comes with a guided tour by Lucinda and drinks/pastry set by POLLEN.
Term 1: Jan 12, 19, 26, Feb 2
Term 2: Mar 23, 30, Apr 6, 13
Term 3: June 1, 8, 15, 22
Venue: Within Studio (Jan 12, 19), Pollen (Jan 26, Feb 2). TBC for the term 2 & 3.
Time: 9:00am to 11:30am
Price: S$550 for 4 class packages or $995 for 8 class packages. Single-visit S$145.00.
$550 course fees includes:
- Choice of four workshops within 6 months period from the date of your first workshop.
- Botanical materials are provided all classes.
- You'll bring your own art materials and additional materials as we progress.
- Certain watercolour paint for specific training will be provided at certain workshops.
Flower Dome sessions
- Free entry to the Flower Dome.
- Guided tour of the Flower Dome by Lucinda before the class
- POLLEN breakfast set of pastry & a choice of beverage
- Botanical materials
*Missed workshops which are cancelled outside the 12 hours cancellation window period are non-refundable.
What you'll learn
• Essential guide to basic watercolour painting: Materials and everything you need to know to start your art practice confidently.
• Wet-in-Wet techniques: Conquering water versus paint ratio and control in water evaporation timing.
• How to mix and achieve attractive, translucency and vibrant mix/blend of watercolours without it turning murky or chalky.
• Colour mixing drills: how to unlock the magic combination of your colours in your palette.
• Essential troubleshooting tips rarely shown on online painting videos.
• Live and up-close demonstrations by Lucinda.
• Personal guidance to improve your techniques weekly. Everyone have different learning phases, so you'll pick up your own techniques/ challenges set by Lucinda personally for you from your last session.
For students who achieved more than 8 lessons or have experiences in watercolour painting.
• Wet-on-dry: We simplify the essential steps to the dry brush techniques which is often cited to be difficult and challenging.
• Tips, drills and practice to achieve details and definitions in your work.
• Combination of painting techniques: why, how, when to use them for what effects?
• Adapting the techniques and find your own styles.
• Introduce to new 'must-have' colours for your palette and how to combine them.
• How to paint challenging colours such as whites, black and yellow flora.